Monday, April 30, 2012

Cranberry and Pistachio Biscotti.

Before there was anything else, there were these. In the early days, post college graduation, before I discovered my true calling and passion for baking, I made these. And they were really good. So good that I kept getting requests for them from my family members.
Conversations went something like this and still do, by the way.
"what do you want for your birthday?"
"just send some biscotti!"

"what about for Christmas?"
"how about some biscotti?"

These were the originals, the cookie from which my passion was fueled. And, yet, after 7 years and some 200 posts, I still haven't paid homage to this little guy.

Well, that all changed last week. After 4 years and nearly 0 care packages sent to my family members,
(can I blame the kids, you guys?)
my parents lost a beloved friend of 13 years. My second thought after hearing the news was, maybe I should send them some biscotti.
Doesn't biscotti make everything feel a little bit better?
Here's hoping it will. xo























Again, so sorry for the terrible pic quality...


Best Biscotti.

4 oz butter
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 T vanilla
1 T squeezed orange
3 1/3 c flour
3/4 teas baking powder
1/8 teas salt
1/2 teas cinnamon
4 oz shelled salted pistachios
4 oz dried cranberries


cream together butter and sugar.
 add the eggs and beat until creamy.
add the vanilla and orange, mix to combine.

In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
add to wet mix and mix to combine. try not to over mix.
then, add the nuts and fruit. feel free to improvise! I have used chocolate and pecans with good results too.

roll into 2 logs. 3in  wide by about 15 in long.
bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until the cookies are baked and just slightly golden.
let cool, cut into cookies about 1 inch wide, and re bake, abotu 15 minutes until golden and dry.

I love you guys. The package is in the mail.





Posted from bed using blog press for iPhone..

No comments: