Monday, March 06, 2006

Adventures in Baking…


A while back, while T was coping with the aftermath of "The Incident of the Eyebrow", I attempted to bake something, for the first time since leaving Ithaca, in an oven the size of my New Purple Shoe..




My first attempt was something easy, Brownies. For which, all I had to do was translate all the Ounce measurements into Grams and for the oven, translate Fahrenheit into Celsius. I also had to find a pan small enough to actually fit into the oven. I am guessing that not a whole lot of baking has taken place in this oven in the past, because the only baking pans that I could find that would actually fit were some little disposable ones from the market…

…which ended up working quite nicely.

My recipe was doctored a bit, since I was unable to find “unsweetened” chocolate amongst the rows and rows of chocolate bars. When attempting to ask the question to a store clerk, she pointed me in the direction of the “sugar free” chocolate, which instead included some type of synthetic substitute…not exactly what I wanted…
Instead, I found the darkest Chocolate that I could, and I cut back on the sugar just a tad and added a little fresh Vanilla Bean (which here costs a fraction of what it costs in the States) to my other “top secret” ingredients and...Voila,

the brownies turned out good and fudgy, just how I like ‘em…

No comments: