Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hummus at homeus.




It has been a fun and messy road, introducing solid foods to Baby Z. A few weeks back, I introduced hummus. He loves it, like most things so far, to my delight.
I started with a basic chickpea hummus and since then I have gotten quite creative…white bean, mixed bean, lentil…all with pleasing results. Making it at home results in a far superior product than any store will carry. For some reason, I am always disappointed with store bought hummus (with the exception of one), and now I will never go back to buying it again.

A basic Hummus consists of cooked beans, tahini, garlic, lemon and salt. I noticed that a lot of recipes add a bunch of oil, but I think the tahini lends the fat to the dip, so all it really needs is a little drizzle of good oil over the top. I add a little water when I puree sometimes, especially for Z who needs things a little less sticcccccky.

Lentil Hummus.

2 cups cooked lentils
½ cup tahini
3 cloves garlic
¼-1/3 cup lemon juice
1-2 teaspoons salt
2-4 Tablespoons water
Drizzle of olive oil over the top..

I included a range for most of the ingredients, as everyone has different tastes, and hummus is extremely versatile. Just stick everything but the water in the Cuisinart and whiz. Add water as needed. This is a good basic recipe that you can try using different beans, and adding more herbs to as well.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

amy said...

love the title of the post! made some last night... don't have a blender, so it was a bit lumpy, but good. did it the amy way, no measuring, just throwing things together... will try adding the oil to the top. btw, which store-bought hummus is the one you like? there's only one i like too, can't think of the name....

mindy said...

oh i cant wait to try....i have been on a total hummus kick for quite a while now....the kind i like is about 5 bucks. it's the one with the puddle of garlic right in the middle. mom and dad get it.