Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Super Low Maintenance Ginger Biscotti...









My life as of late doesn’t feel super low maintenance, so it’s nice to a have a biscotti recipe that is. I am talking, one bowl, no mixer required. They are actually low fat too, something that I usually don’t seek, (as I look down at my left over baby belly), even though maybe I should. I happened across a version of this recipe when I was in Kauai with my parents and Z in February. I enjoy baking for my parents, and in particular, they like my biscotti, so I decided to plop babe down to watch some Sesame Street and whip these up super quick. And super quick, they are. I had some challenges there, in the humidity that is Kauai, and my dough was super wet. But, in my haste and being all caught up in the moment of being low maintenance, I just plopped the dough on the cookie sheet and threw it, not too literally, into the oven. What emerged was a surprise. I thought that without butter or oil, these things would not be too edible. Hey, what do I know? I just love fat in my baked goods. I was so pleasantly surprised with the flavor of the ginger and the lovely crunchy texture. Perfect for dunking in that cup of Kona coffee. Sigh. Today, in grey Seattle, as I made these same cookies…(a late Mothers Day gift, Mom!)...I wasn’t at all surprised that the dough was much less wet, yet they yielded the same crisp and lightly fragranced cookie…and, once again, I am transported to the lanai, sipping my Kona coffee, biscotti in hand.

SLMG Biscotti.

½ cup crystallized ginger, chopped
1 cup flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 egg white


Combine dry ingredients in a bowl with whisk. Set aside. Mix eggs together separately to combine then pour into flour mixture. Fold eggs into flour, using hands if you knead to help incorporate it. take care not to overmix. Add crystallized ginger just to combine. Lightly flour counter and roll dough into a log. Place on nonstick cookie sheet, or silpat and bake at 350, for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, then cut into biscotti into ½ cookies. Bake again, for about 10 minutes more, until nicely golden. Makes about 1 ½ dozen.

No comments: