Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake.


Finally, some summer weather around here. Have been doing a little more baking around these parts now that I am in the second trimester bliss. energy and appetite restored. it feels good. and after a loooooooooooooong gray spring and june, the forcast calls for sun all week. lets hope it sticks around. SO, now that I am in the mood, its time to bake with those damn good strawberries I have been wolfing down for the last couple weeks.

I had a gripe with strawberry shortcake that I wanted to clear up. When visiting with my parents, I wanted to show them that even though I am 2 years out of the kitchen, that I can still make a dessert. so, I made some shortcake. I made biscuits and topped them with macerated berries and a dollop of softly whipped creme. Trouble was, I hated how the shortcakes turned out. Then, I realized, strawberry shortcake can also be made with a nice sponge cake. no need to use heavy biscuits when you can use a light cake that does its part to soak up all those nice berry juices. I suppose I just needed a different and more fluffy biscuit recipe, but instead of trying to perfect it, I went a whole different direction. This time, I whipped up a lemon butter cake, soaked it with a lemon simple syrup and then doused it with my macerated berries. I let it sit for the afternoon to give the cake time to soak up all the berry goodness. Then, when it was eatin' time, I whipped up the creme and spread it over the top of the cake. Now, this is more like the shortcake I was craving the first time around.

3 comments:

Bonny said...

so, where is the recipe??

Strawberry Shortcake Party Favors said...

Can I ask for the recipe? It looks so delicious, I loved to bake and maybe I can add this on my recipe list.

Sara said...

I will post the recipe :)