Sunday, March 27, 2011

Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.


Z had his way with a banana or two today, rendering them unfit for normal peeled consumption. so, what an excuse to make some bread! My good friend Rachel had mentioned a recipe recently, so I thought I would try it out. I ended up not having a few of the ingredients on hand, so I tweaked it a bit to use up some things that I did have on hand, and what I got was something really tasty. I used coconut oil in place of shortening, brown sugar in place of regular and a mixture of sour cream and heavy cream in place of buttermilk. yummy fatty goodness. and a really really moist bread. The batter tasted of coconut and banana, but the baked product has just a hint of coconut. I think next time, I might add a little shredded coconut to bring that flavor around a bit more. and, there will be a next time. yum-o.
 Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
3/4 cup brown sugar
 2 eggs
1/2 cup melted coconut oil, unrefined. (I got mine at Whole Foods, the 365 brand.)
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup heavy cream

2 bananas
 2 teaspoons vanilla

2.5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup chocolate chips

In a bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients, then add mashed banana and vanilla. Then add the dry ingredients, combined. Be sure to just stir until combined, not overmixing is key. then, add the chocolate chips. divide batter between 2 greased loaf pans and bake at 350 for about 45 to 55 minutes, depending on your oven!

No comments: