Sunday, March 21, 2010

Yesterday, I went to Specialties and couldn't walk out of there without buying one of their wheat germ chocolate chip cookies. I bought 2 actually. I have been wanting to recreate these gems for a while and so I was conducting a little taste research.

yeah, taste research.

I like the ring to that.

what makes these cookies so good is the amount of butter or shortening that is in them, and the nutty flavor of the wheat germ, a hint of cinnamon, little chocolate chunks scattered throughout. their texture is a little on the cakey side, with a little chewy and a little crispness on the outer edges.

I tend to like my chocolate chip cookies on the either crisp-chewy or the really crunchy side. I am not really a cakey cookie gal, but who am I kidding? I wouldnt actually turn any chocolate chip cookie down.

Today, I set out to recreate these puppies. take one.





the result.

a good first attempt! I do think that I could have used more butter to mimic the cafe's cookie, but I was actually happy with my lower calorie version. with a little less fat, it wasnt quite as moist, but I definitely thought the flavor was there, not to mention those healthful ingredients!

here is the recipe:

note: I have since made batch number 2 which doesnt quite resemble the cookies above, but I felt it yielded a tastier and moister, yet a little flatter result. I have increased the butter 2 oz and lessened the egg by one.

6 oz butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 eggs
1/4 teas vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup wheat flour, fine
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 teas cinnamon
1/4 cup oats
1/2 teas salt
1/4 teas baking powder
3/4 cup chocolate, chopped

cream sugar and butter. add eggs and vanilla and cream until fluffly. mix dry ingredients and set aside. add dry ingredients to wet, stir to combine. add chocolate and stir to combine. bake at 350 12-15 minutes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: