Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chilled Tomatillo and Tomato Soup.

Since I am flying without an oven these days, I am trying to cook with out really cooking. I guess this is the time of year I would prefer, as it tends to be warm, well, sometimes, in Seattle. I found out yesterday that this summer in Seattle has been the cloudiest on record, since they began recording in 1951.
But today, it is perfect. And, if those tomatoes are popping up in your yard as they are in mine, this might be a good thing to make.

I took a recipe for a Tomatillo Soup featured in Sunset this month and put my own spin on it. I added tomatoes, and instead of using fresh tomatillos, which the market didnt even have more than a handful of, I opted for the canned variety. I omitted some things here and there and added more of things too. and, this is what I came up with. I was quite pleased with it.

and, if you make it, make enough for leftovers. it was even better today at lunch.

Chilled Tomatillo and Tomato Soup.
(adapted from Sunset Magazine)

14 oz tomatillos. (2 12 oz cans-yields about this much in actual tomatillo)
1 pint red cherry tomatoes
1/2 white onion
1 c chicken broth
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 an English Cuke (the really long ones, seedless)
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1/4 c salsa verde
2 Tablespoons cilantro
1 avocado, diced
1 pint yellow tomatoes

Drain the tomatillos. Halve the tomatoes. Chop the white onion, garlic and cuke. Put in Processor or blender with the other ingredients except the avocado and  the yellow tomatoes. whiz until blended and of the preferred texture. add salt and pepper to taste. then, Halve the yellow tomatoes and dice the Avocado and stir this in too. Chill until nice and cold.


No comments: